The Fair Grounds
DROPSTUFF MEDIA presents The Fair Grounds: Folk culture meets high tech and high art!
The Fair Grounds is an artistic project by media art collective DROPSTUFF MEDIA. The project builds a collection of artworks where amusement rides are presented as art installations. New narratives have been added to fairground attractions as old forms of folk culture. They have been updated with rich stories of cultural heritage, the imagination of the arts and the wonderment of new technologies. The result is a truly new fairground, where every ride has been modified, enhanced and tells surprising stories to a mix of generations: folk culture meets high tech and high art!
At The Fair Grounds, nothing is as it seems. Take a ride on’ ‘The Fair Grounds 1.0‘, a virtual reality rollercoastride with 6 converted kiddy rides, have a gamble with the Grab the Pussy refurbished claw crane, choose from one of 20 tasty & fresh e-numbers at the ZOET!-candyfloss truck, go for a spin in the Carnaval des Moutons merry-go-round – an ode to the zoetrope – or play the game ‘Holiday Racer’ in Time Travellers, escaperoom on wheels;
Brand New in 2019: Bumper Ballet; selfdriving ánd dancing bumper cars:
A new media fairground for everyone
Historically, fairgrounds and travelling fairs have always been ‘the unwritten portion of the story of the people’, an event that is living and dynamic and reflects the influence of popular culture. A celebration where the ingredients of spectacle, experience, technology and reality are part of a great melting pot for a large audience.
With the project The Fair Grounds, DROPSTUFF combines the rich history of fairs with modern day cult and tech festivals to create a place where once again new insights and discoveries are being presented to a broad audience. The result is a meeting ground where one’s own experience is key: see, touch, hear, taste and experience it for yourself!
The goal of the project is to grant access to rapid technological and creative changes for an audience that doesn’t necessarily have access to it. To reach this goal, we team up with existing fairgrounds but also artists, designers, museums and cultural institutes. We use a combination of new and social media, virtual and augmented reality, artificial intelligence, 360° and 3D video, drones, robots, projection, cameras, sensors, self-driving cars and other applications, but also more traditional media such as theatre, photography and physical (art)objects.
From 2018 onwards, The Fair Grounds will travel to existing carnivals, fair grounds and festivals and present itself to a broad audience. At every large event, a new ride will be unveiled and added to the collection. Scheduled for release are a bumper car ride where the cars can do everything except bump into each other, being controlled like drones from a distance, or a virtual de-friending shooting gallery where you can clean up your online friend-list… come all and enjoy The Fair Grounds!
Tourlist ‘The Fair Grounds’ 2019:
- Kermis Amsterdam Westerpark – 8-17 March
- Nassauischer Kunstverein Wiesbaden, Germany – 5-7 April (The Fair Grounds #1)
- Kingsday Amersfoort – 27 April
- Preview: ‘Bumper Ballet’ – La Biennale di Venezia, boatstop ‘Arsenale’ – 8-10 May
- Première NL: ‘Bumper Ballet’ – Dutch Technology Week Eindhoven – presented by Eindhoven Museum 20-26 May
- La Bonne Aventure Festival, Dunkirk France 21-23 June (The Fair Grounds #1)
- Festival de Onderstroom, Vlissingen – 5-7 Julu
- Olala – Internationales Straßentheaterfestival, Lienz Austria 26-27 July (The Fair Grounds #1)
- Kermis Eindhoven, 2-11 August
- INNOVATE Arnhem, 3-5 October
- De Betovering – 18-20 October
Tourlist ‘The Fair Grounds’ 2018:
- Preview: Kermis Amsterdam Westerpark – 09 t/m 18 March 2018
- Preview: MESH Festival for Creativity and Design – 23 March 2018
- Kingsday and 100 jaar Mediastad Hilversum – 27 April and 27 May 2018
- MediaBites – VondelCS Amsterdam, 6 until 8 June 2018 (preview Carnaval des Moutons)
- Batjes, Roeselare (België) – 22 until 24 June
- Milkshake, Amsterdam – 28 and 29 July 2018 (Grab the Pussy)
- Lowlands Biddinghuizen – 17 ’till 19 August 2018
- Dutch Media Week Hilversum – 1,2, 8 and 9 September 2018
- Hogeschool van Amsterdam – 7 September 2018 (The Fair Grounds, Tijdreizigers, ZOET!)
- LekArt, Culemborg 28 ’till 30 September 2018 (The Fair Grounds)
- ARTS+, Frankfurter Buchmesse, (Tijdreizigers, Carnaval des Moutons, ZOET!)
- Cinekid Festival Amsterdam, 20 until 26 October 2018
- De Betovering Den Haag, 20 until 27 October 2018 (The Fair Grounds)
- Lets Gro, Groningen, 31 October until 3 November 2018 (The Fair Grounds, Grab the Pussy, ZOET!)
The Fair Grounds is supported by VSBfonds, BankGiro Lottery Fund, Prins Bernhard Culture Fund, CLICKNL Fieldlab Virtual Worlds In collaboration with: Het Nederlands Instituut voor Beeld en Geluid in Hilversum en EYE Filmmuseum, Amsterdam and Eindhoven Museum.