The Fair Grounds is an artistic project by media design collective DROPSTUFF.nl, consisting of a collection of artworks where a amusement rides are presented as art installations. A new narrative has been added to pre-existing attractions and old forms of entertainment have been updated. Likewise, new concepts and designs have been loaded with traditional stories and customs. The result is a fairground where every ride has been modified, enhanced or completely redesigned: popular culture meets high tech and high art!
At The Fair Grounds, nothing is as it seems. Take a ride on’ ‘The Fair Grounds 1.0‘, a virtual reality rollercoastride with 6 converted kiddy rides, have a gamble with the Grab the Pussy refurbished claw crane, choose from one of 20 tasty & fresh e-numbers at the ZOET!-candyfloss truck, go for a spin in the Carnaval des Moutons merry-go-round – an ode to the zoetrope – or get your picture taken as a freak of the future in the Photobooth Freakshow!
Brand new: Time Travellers, escaperoom on wheels;
From 2018 onwards, The Fair Grounds will travel to existing carnivals, fair grounds and festivals and present itself to a broad audience. At each large event, an new ride will be unveiled and added to the collection. Scheduled for release are bumper cars where the cars will perform a dance, being controlled like drones from a distance, or a virtual de-friending shooting gallery where you can clean up your online friend-list… come all and enjoy The Fair Grounds!
TOURLIST THE FAIR GROUNDS 2018:
• Preview: Kermis Amsterdam Westerpark – 09 t/m 18 march 2018
• Preview: MESH Festival for Creativity and Design – 23 march 2018
• Koningsdag and 100 jaar Mediastad Hilversum – 27 april en 27 may 2018
• MediaBites – VondelCS Amsterdam, 6 ’till 8 june 2018 (preview Carnaval des Moutons)
• Batjes, Roeselare (België) – 22 ’till 24 june
• Milkshake, Amsterdam – 28 and 29 july 2018 (Grab the Pussy)
• Lowlands Biddinghuizen – 17 ’till 19 august 2018
• Dutch Media Week Hilversum – 1,2, 8 and 9 september 2018
• Hogeschool van Amsterdam – 7 september 2018 (The Fair Grounds, Tijdreizigers, ZOET!)
• LekArt, Culemborg 28 ’till 30 september 2018 (The Fair Grounds)
• ARTS+, Frankfurter Buchmesse, (Tijdreizigers, Carnaval des Moutons, ZOET!)
• Cinekid Festival Amsterdam, 20 ’till 26 october 2018 (complete opzet)
• De Betovering Den Haag, 20 ’till 27 october 2018 (The Fair Grounds)
• Lets Gro, Groningen, 31 october ’till 3 november 2018 (The Fair Grounds, Grab the Pussy, ZOET!)
The Fair Grounds is supported by BankGiro Lotery Fund, Prins Bernhard Culture Fund, CLICKNL Fieldlab Virtual Worlds
In collaboration with: Het Nederlands Instituut voor Beeld en Geluid in Hilversum en EYE Filmmuseum, Amsterdam.